The Johns Hopkins SAIS admissions committee takes a holistic approach to reviewing candidates. There is no minimum GPA and no GRE/GMAT scores required to enter the MA in Global Risk (online) program. All aspects of an applicant’s background will be reviewed, including their professional and education history, letters of recommendation and analytical essays.
Fall: August 29, 2022
The school regularly hosts live, interactive information sessions with details about the program and admissions requirements. See our events page to register for an opportunity to ask our faculty questions.
- Application (online)
- Application fee, $85 USD (An application fee waiver may be available)
- Analytical essay
- Analyze an important national or international challenge and recommend ways to address it. Please keep your answer to no more than 600 words.
- Statement of purpose
- Tell us your story as it relates to the field or program. Using your professional and educational experience, please answer why you’re interested in the MA in Global Risk program and why Johns Hopkins SAIS is the right fit for you.
- Transcripts for all college-level course work
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (non-native English speakers)
- Applicants must pass with a minimum of 100 on the TOEFL or a minimum of 7 on the IELTS. See our non-US students page for more information about TOEFL and IELTS requirements.
Application Fee Waiver
The school offers application fee waivers to participants or alumni affiliated with the following professional development programs:
- The Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship Program
- The Public Policy and International Affairs Program (PPIA)
- Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Fellowship Program
- Fulbright Program (those currently on fellowship)
- McNair Scholars Program
- Teach for America
- Teach for China
- Peace Corps
In order to receive a fee waiver, you must submit an official document confirming your participation in the appropriate program to email@example.com. We will waive the fee once the paperwork is received by our office and your application has been submitted. Unfortunately, we do not grant fee waivers for financial hardship.